Saturday 17 October 2015

Stopping on the Steppe

Three months might not seem like a long time to you, but it feels like a lifetime to me. Everyday is an adventure, everyday is different. Last week I was sweltering in 38 c desert heat, now I am shivering in 8 c on the Kazak steppe.
When I was camping in the desert there some cold mornings when a chill wind told me that winter was approaching. I want to get to the Himalayas  before snow blocks the roads, so I kept rolling eastwards.
In cities I try and stay in hostels. They are cheap, the home cooked local food is lovely  and you meet an interesting mix of fellow travellers. All the stereotypes are there - laid back Aussies, travel bores, couples where only one of them speaks.
The kindness of people always lifts my spirits. At random times kazak drivers would stop for a selfie, or press money into my hands - to buy dinner. A couple of days ago I was caught in a thunderstorm on the flat plains. I had been told there was a hotel a few miles down the road, but couldn't find it. I asked and asked, sodden wet and shivering in the cold darkness I queued  at a petrol station to ask the cashier when the manager  tapped me on the shoulder  and simply said "coffee?" Saved; he fed me and let me sleep on a sofa in a warm office.
Shepherds have a knack of finding me when I am wild camping. The last one told me I should sleep in his stable, it rained overnight so I glad I did. He gave me dinner - meat stew  (his goats), milk, butter, yoghurt from his cows, and bread baked in his clay oven. Their self sufficiency was eye opening.
When I do stay in a hostel or hotel I try and check the weather forecast. When I saw it said rain and 8 c for two days, I decided to stop cycling. I went to the train station but the next service to Bishkek (capital of Kyrgyzstan) was at 9 the next evening, so I squeezed my bike and gear into a minibus with the locals and did the pretty dreary  250 km across the rain swept Steppe in a dry 4 hours rather than a wet 2 days.
From here I want to ride to Lake Issyk, the forecast is for a few bright autumnal days, it should be beautiful. Then I will loop around to Almaty to fly to the Himalayas.

Breakfast at the dhepherd's house


Wonderful scenery  on the Kazak / Kyrgyzstan  border
Samarkland looks the set of a Raiders of the Lost Ark film

7 comments:

  1. Myself and your Dad are following you on your travels, Angus loves hearing about your adventures. Keep safe and well Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping Angus updated. I am off to India next week, that will bring back many memories for him.

      Delete
  2. Love reading about you adventures - sounds amazing Lynda Shute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lynda, I can recommend central Asia if you want a different holiday destination. But not Kyrgyzstan in October, it snowed last night!

      Delete
  3. Hi Dom
    I love reading your blog and marvelling at the distance that you have travelled.
    Glad you are meeting kind and interesting people. Luke and I were wondering if you're looking very thin and bedraggled and that's why shepherds and petrol station managers feel the need to give you food and shelter.
    Hope you beat the snow in the Himalayas
    Take care. Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia, good to hear from you. If being thin and bedraggled prompts strangers to help then I will keep that look. Meeting real locals - not those in the tourist trade - is fascinating. Yesterday I needed water and some muslim men pointed to where a woman was cleaning pans in a stream. Their little children looked very cute all wrapped up against the cold. These are things that memories are made of.

      Delete
  4. Hi Dom. Your adventures are sounds great. Though roads and climates are only keeping you so sweet tired while you keep going. Is it right that you are like in time machine? Ancient civilisations, fantastic cities and poor people... I've already missing being on road in big city. i wish you well to to further to india safely with selam.

    ReplyDelete