Thursday 29 October 2015

Kyrgyzstan and the Kashmir

When you travel for a while you have time to consider questions like where is the most beautiful place you have visited? For me, the alpine lakes of Kyrgyzstan  and the Kashmir feature high on this list.
By the time I cycled to Lake Issyk 5000 feet up in the Kyrgyzstan  mountains there was already snow on the peaks. I couldn't cycle over the pass to Almaty and so I stayed for a couple of days by the lake before returning to the capital - Bishkek. The hostel was home to several other cyclists escaping the wintry conditions.
I flew to Srinigar in Indian Kashmir via Delhi - which was like bedlam with tasty food. Now I am staying on a houseboat on a beautiful  lake in Srinigar. The owner has a small boat that we use to get to the city, but as the streets are full of police, beggars and salesmen I prefer the tranquillity of my houseboat.
Tomorrow I set off on a four day ride to Leh, high up in the Himalayas, the weather forecast is brilliant and so I can't wait.

View from my houseboat in Srinigar

Lake Issyk, Kyrgyzstan

6 comments:

  1. I heard good news from you Dom... This seems passing everest mountain. I gues that warmer climate is on your way and less climb up after himalayas. Take care from rainy days. Have a nice trip in india. Sorry for bad english.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fatih, what are you up to? Climbing the Himilayas is hard cycling, but the exeptional scenary and different cultures make up for this. Don't worry about your english, it is better than my turkish. Shalem, Dom

      Delete
    2. Hello Dom, i am doing job search in istanbul. Passing through himalayas seems stressed but we are excited to hear from you. Some rest could be nice if you can find a nice hotel. Best wishes to pass over snow and reach india. Selam, Fatih

      Delete
  2. Hello Dom , It's good to think of you sitting on your houseboat , contemplating your trip so far and looking forward to your spectacular Himalayan ride . Hope the weather forecast is right !
    Edward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed, there was snow, ice and mud over the first 11,500 foot pass. The thinner atmosphere is really noticeable, or I'm getting less fit! Forecast for tomorrow is good, then a couple of days of light snow, so I will try and find the best hotel i can (not easy, they tend to be very basic).

      Delete
  3. Loving the updates Dom.

    ReplyDelete