Thursday 16 June 2016

Perusing Peru

It took six, scenic days to traverse the Andes from east to west. Once all I did was a 25 mile climb and descent and stopped in the dusty, dodgy town of Abencay. Afternoons were sweatingly hot, and nights were shiveringly cold, so I stayed in little hotels that cost £6 for an en-suite room. In tiny hamlets a basic room costs half that. Meals cost one or two pounds, as does a beer.
I rode through the capital - Lima - apparently there is not much to see there. The traffic was diabolical, it was like riding through fairground dodgems for three hours. I was glad to escape to the empty desert highway again.
In the northern city of Trujillo  I stayed at a "casa de cyclist". It opened in the 'eighties, I was guest  number 2634. My stay was extended as I got food poisoning. So I listened to podcasts of Desert Island Discs and read a good book.
My final day in Peru took me beside a beautiful coast with empty resorts and busy fishing towns. When I reached the border they fined me $7 for overstaying my visa.
My first impression of Ecuador is that it is very green and very hot. When I have seen more I will give you a more detailed picture.
One of my pannier broke this morning,  now I will find someone to mend it. My back tyre is damaged, my right pedal clunks, I am not sure the bike will get to Cuba.

At the casa de cyclists with the owner - Lucho. He was a champion road racer.


The centre of Trujillo has streets of old colonial  Spanish buildings and striking wrought iron work.

The Andes are lush, green and full of life.

A mindwarping 50 mile twisty descent through barren desert gave me a dramatic  exit to the Andes.

A tiny stretch of coast in northern  Peru was picture perfect.

7 comments:

  1. Your bike - and you - have done so well to get this far around the world. I hope that you get the pannier, wheel and pedal fixed so that you can cycle right up to the airport. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pannier got fixed, the pedal is replaceable, and I have just bought a new tyre. So that is looking good. There is a farmers strike in Columbia and they are blocking main roads, hopefully it is resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just shown your photos to your dad he was amazed and really happy that you are well. He is looking forward to seeing you soon. Continue to travel safely xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just shown your photos to your dad he was amazed and really happy that you are well. He is looking forward to seeing you soon. Continue to travel safely xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Debbie, thank you for showing father the photos. In this stretch of Andes I have taken a picture of some mist, and a rainbow. The weather is not great. Tomorrow I reach Columbia, from the capital Bogotá I fly to Cuba, then on home. I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Dom , I wonder if you are in Cuba now ? Relaxing with a beer and huge cigar , reflecting on your epic journey . Be good to see you soon and hear all about it .
    Edward

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go to Cuba tomorrow. Today I rode through Bogotá with a 3ft by 5ft bike box tied to my rack. fortunately its a holiday, so nany streets were only open to cyclists. I like the idea of relaxing with a beer, not sure about the cigar though. I will bring you back a box if you want,

    ReplyDelete