Friday 27 November 2015

Losing it in India

So far in my trip I have been lucky, with no mechanical mishaps or bad incidents. My ambition to travel on an Indian train has changed all that.
After riding my bike to Nagpur in central India I wanted to catch a train to Goa (for a change of scenery). The train went from Bhopal - about  150 miles away - so  I thought I would do a practice run on a train to see how the system worked.
Upon reaching Bhopal (at 10:30 at night), there was no sign of my bike. A visit to the luggage office confirmed it had not been taken off the train and was on its way to Delhi. They told me to come back at 9 in the morning to see what to do. No. I kicked off with them and got to see the manger who made the necessary  calls to get my bike taken off at the next stop (I hoped).
Next - where to stay? Indian railway stations have "resting rooms" , the manager booked me into one of these until 8 the next morning.
At 7:30 and again at five to eight a man knocked  on the door claiming it was eight o'clock and the room was his. I got angry, he went away.
After bludgeoning my way through more Indian inefficiency finally a man emerged on the crowded platform pushing my mighty bike.
Now I needed a ticket for Goa. Some kind Indians helped, but there were no tickets available. One of the helpful Indians said he was an agent and could get me a ticket for a small fee. Cutting a long story short, he ran out of the reservation  office and disappeared with my 3000 rupees. I reported it to the police, we could track him up to a point on cctv, but then he got away.
I was not so lucky. It too four police officers 6 hours to file my simple report.
I'm still stuck in Bhopal. You might ask why I don't ride out? Two reasons for this, firstly, normal Indian roads are busy, bumpy, noisy and dangerous. I have been using a new dual carriageway toll road which is smooth, scenic and relatively  safe. But this good road does not run from Bhopal. Secondly, I still want a have a proper Indian train journey.
I am on the waiting list for tomorrow's train, so fingers crossed.

14 comments:

  1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get the train and it is worth it in the end.
    Love your posts
    Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, I am seeing the railways district commissioner tomorrow, if he doesn't get me a ticket I may have to ride of Bhopal. We will see. Hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. India has to be limitless possibilities with over one billion pop. Most of them are helpful and you may meet many of traveller because of India's authentic atmosphere. I think these were not about your luck but only small "blue bead" on your great way. Good luck and have a nice train trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith, I think you need luck when dealing with Indian railways. I should of stuck to cycling, I would almost be in Goa by now. Good luck with your job hunting.

      Delete
  3. Hello Dom ,
    Hopefully everything will work out . It must have been a huge relief to see your trusty bike appear after all that .
    Overall , India sounds like a fascinating place in spite of its challenges .
    The photos are great .
    Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious, obviously not the fake Indian Thieving agent bit!! Hope you catch your train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Simon, Although I caught the train there wasn't room for my bike in the luggage car, So I had to dismantle it and wedge it under my seat. Anyway, it went back together okay. Just rode from Goa to Kerala, very hot, very scenic.

      Delete
  5. That all sounds really stressful, I hope your now back to enjoying your travels. Stay safe and well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie, I took a couple of days off to sit on a beach in Goa. Tomorrow I catch another train up to Mumbai / Bombay so I can fly to Thailand. I think there is a good chance of getting a Christmas dinner there! Hope you have a good Christmas too, I will send a happy solstice card to Angus, Dom

      Delete
    2. Have a lovely warm Christmas Dom x

      Delete
  6. Just catching up on the last few months of your journey - amazing! So many countries I would like to visit...Wishing you a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Alison, if you get off the beaten track the people are much freindlier and sights are fresh and authentic. When you do your travels, you will have to do a blog, so I can follow that and it will remind me of my trip.
    Have a lovely christmas and new year. Dom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    live train status

    ReplyDelete
  9. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
    live train status

    ReplyDelete